Tuesday, July 9, 2013

the Ultimate Payoff

There are many payoffs in playing the role of a victim in life:
•  I get to be special, therefore I am treated special. Maybe you'll take it easy on me because, after all, I'm a victim.
•  Nothing is required of me. You can't expect anything much from a victim, right?
•  I don't have to step up. Others need to do that for me, because I'm still a victim.
• I get to be self-righteously right.
• Whoever hurt me, owes me.

The ultimate payoff is in choosing complete acceptance and responsibility for my life exactly as it is. Now, no one owes me anything. I don't have to wait. I can decide what I want and take steps toward it.
The ultimate payoff is my freedom.

Victim is not who you are--only a role you may play. Courage is not a lack of fear. Courage is facing fear and taking the steps you need to take. Have courage, dear one.

William Frank Diedrich, author of
Beyond Blaming and Adults at Work,
available at http://adults-at-work.com

No comments:

Post a Comment