Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Emotional Intelligence

We all have emotions. I am often amazed at how many different emotions I experience in a day--anger, fear, joy, hopelessness, enthusiasm, appreciation, guilt, hope, confidence, bliss--all in the same day.

I am the experiencer of these emotions, but also the observer. As the observer I make decisions.
If I am in a state of hopelessness (depression) I cannot instantly turn it.  I observe it, feel it, accept it, experience it (Who am I being when I feel hopeless?).  I don't analyze it. I let it flow over me and through me-- like I'm standing on a sandbar in Lake Michigan and a big wave washes over me and knocks me down.  I get up. Same with anger or fear.  I am not afraid of my negative emotions. Why would I be afraid of what I have created?  I take responsibility for my experience.

I ask myself what I want.  Joy?  Peace?  Connection?  Then I head in that direction, cultivating the experience I desire.  I call forth my Higher Self (Spirit, ..)  to help me see things differently.

The intention to move through the negative and experience something positive is like turning the rudder on a ship. It takes a little while for the ship to actually turn.

My goal today is the experience of confidence and joy. The universe is my playground, and I want to enjoy it thoroughly. Negative experiences may occur, and I will move through them with a kind of awkward grace.  I am grateful for my emotions and for the intelligence to make friends with them.

William Frank Diedrich,
author of The Road Home, Beyond Blaming, and
Adults at Work.  Found at http://adults-at-work.com


No comments:

Post a Comment