Friday, November 22, 2013

Are you committed?


Years ago I went horseback riding with a friend. I had no riding experience but was assured by my friend who owned the horses that there was nothing to worry about. We saddled up, mounted, and headed down the trail. Suddenly my friend's horse became excited and took off at a gallup. My horse followed. I had signed on for a ride but did not expect a gallup. Fear took over and I had only one thought in my mind: "Get me off this horse." My wish was granted.
I fell off the horse and had the wind knocked out of me. Other than a sore back, I was unhurt. At first I blamed the horse for my experience, but I realized that my horse was just doing what horses do. Then I blamed my friend, who I thought should have had her horse under control. I realized that the problem was in me.
When I mounted that horse, I had a vision in mind. It was a vision of adventure and excitement. When the horse delivered I wanted out. I fell off the horse because I had forgotten why I signed up for the ride in the first place. My message to myself--"Get me off this horse!"--showed that I was not really committed to the ride. Had I clarified my commitment, I would have offered myself a different message, something like: "Hold on!" Had I held on, I may have experienced the ride of my life!
I allowed fear to dictate my actions rather than my vision. People get themselves into situations--a job, a relationship, an adventure--and then things get rough. If fear takes over, you may forget why you signed up in the first place. You are accountable. Commitment means to learn and do whatever it takes to succeed. It is to create a vision or a goal, and then align your thinking and your behavior with the direction you have chosen.
What do you want?

Excerpted from  Adults at Work, by 
William Frank Diedrich
available at 
http://adults-at-work.com

No comments:

Post a Comment